Re: How does one specify a fragment relative to base document?

At 15:43 05/03/2003 -0800, Tim Bray wrote:
>Graham Klyne wrote:
>>Is there a way to specify a fragment identifer relative to the document
>>in the current base URI.  I can't see a way to do this.
>>If I use ./#frag, then the final path component of the base URI is omitted.
>
>Er, "#frag", right?  What am I missing?

According to the URI spec [1], that is relative to the *current document*,
as opposed to the current base URI.  For example, when xml:base is used
within an XML document, the #frag is not (as I understand) relative to the
base URI.

The URI spec [1] is quite explicit about stating that when resolving #frag
relative to some base URI, it refers to a fragment the *current document*
as distinct from the base URI;  cf. algorithm in section 5.2.

#g
--

[1] http://www.apache.org/~fielding/uri/rev-2002/rfc2396bis.html

(I'm using this latest work-in-progress as a reference, but, without
explicitly checking, I think the current spec says the same.)

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>