Re: #foo URI references

From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:36:11 -0400
To: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>
Cc: uri@w3.org

Paul Grosso scripsit:

> I like the fact that, when I click on a link that resolves to
> another part, I am taken to that other part which is why I want
> to use xml:base.  But I sure don't want to click on a link that's
> supposed to take me from a defined term to its definition in the
> previous paragraph and find myself going to another (older version
> of the) document.

No, that won't happen under RFC 2396 bis; it is required to use the
existing document if the base URI matches the document URI.  The
uncertain case to my mind is where there is no document URI; in
RFC 2396, "#foo" relative URI references still work, but in
RFC 2396 bis as currently drafted they do not.

--
If you understand,                      John Cowan
   things are just as they are;         http://www.ccil.org/~cowan