Re: non-hierarchical URIs and square brackets

At 09:20 23/06/03 -0400, Al Gilman wrote:
>At 08:00 AM 2003-06-23, Graham Klyne wrote:

>>>Please explain in what terms you find the 'mid' scheme to be "clearly
>>>non-hierarchical."
>>
>>I meant in the sense that it does not conform to the normal rules for
>>hierarchical URIs;  e.g.
>>
>>given a base URI:
>>
>>   mid:m@example.ord/c@example.org
>>
>>and a URI-reference:
>>
>>   m2@example.ord/c2@example.org
>>
>>making an absolute URI from these parts using normal hierarchical URI
>>rules would yield:
>>
>>   mid:m@example.ord/m2@example.ord/c2@example.org
>>
>>which isn't a valid mid: URI.
>
>But there is no use for the relative URI that you cooked up.
>
>Just because there are syntactically well-formed but semantically garbage
>examples that can be constructed doesn't mean that there is no hierarchy
>in the scheme.  Just that the hierarchy isn't everything that
>you expect.

Without wishing to debate the semantic minutiae, I have code based on (my
reading of) a previous version of the URI specification that processes the
above example and produces a perfectly usable result, namely:

   mid:m2@example.ord/c2@example.org

I.e. it uses just the scheme name from the base URI.  The lack of a leading
'/' in the base URI path is taken as an indicator that URI hierarchy rules
don't apply, so the path component is treated as an opaque item to be
replaced by that from the URI reference.

Now, maybe my code is wrong.  But it seemed to me a reasonable way to write
some generic URI handling code that may be called upon to do
relative-to-absolute mapping on any pair of URI-references, and it seems to
produce results that are reasonable and workable.

I find the latest revision of the spec, however, is open to an
interpretation in which it is not possible to get a valid URI in this
case.  That is the basis of my original question -- I don't really care if
the example does or does not have any element of hierarchy, but rather that
I can understand how to properly process it and (hopefully) obtain a useful
or usable result.

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>