Editorial comments on draft-fielding-uri-rfc2396bis-03

From: Ian B. Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: 16 Jun 2003 17:24:34 -0400
To: roy.fielding@day.com
Cc: uri@w3.org, ij@w3.org

Hi Roy,

I enjoyed reading the revised URI spec [1]. I have just
a few editorial comments. Thanks for all your hard
work, Roy.

 _ Ian

Section 1.2.1

 In the bulleted list, there are three bullets. I suggest
 splitting the first bullet into two:

   * A URI is a sequence of characters.
   * Those characters are not always represented as a
     sequence of octets.

 At the end of the section, a forward reference to
 percent escaping as a means of representing
 characters outside the limited set (as octets) might
 be useful.

Section 1.3

 Although I'm not sure there's much to do about it,
 I think the discussion of character encoding here
 might be confusing. There is (1) encoding used
 to talk about characters in the ABNF and (2) encoding
 of octets in a URI. I am thinking that using "codepoints"
 here might have a slight advantage.

 Also, the ABNF doesn't use ASCII encoding to talk
 about all of the characters; in some cases strings
 are used (e.g,. ":").

Section 1.2

 I don't think the first paragraph adds much; the
 text that discusses this in 1.3 is still fresh in my

Section 3.5

 Third paragraph, change "without any implication that the primary
resource is accessible" to "without any implication that the
 primary or secondary resources are network-accessible."

5.5 and 5.1.1

 Both the ascii art and the title of 5.1.1 refer to
 "document content." I think it would be more consistent
 with earlier sections (e.g., 1.2.2) to talk about
 representation rather than document content.

 Also, there's a missing ")" after "section 4.4" in 5.1

Section 7.2

 Second paragraph includes "especially when it is a number
 within the reserved space." Where is "the reserved space"

[1] http://www.apache.org/~fielding/uri/rev-2002/rfc2396bis.html
Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447