A URN is a particular URI scheme

From: Hammond, Tony (ELSLON) <T.Hammond@elsevier.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 14:15:49 +0100
To: "'Michael Mealling'" <michael@neonym.net>, John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Cc: fielding@apache.org, uri@w3.org

Hmm. Just wonder why we need to dignify one URI scheme over all others by
giving it a special name. Seems invidious. Or does that mean that it is
somehow special? Otherwise why not refer to a 'dav' URI as a DAV, etc?

I know the whole thing is just a horrid, historical accident, but are there
no means to redress this?

Tony