Re: draft-fielding-uri-rfc2396bis-03

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 06:57:23 -0400
To: "Hammond, Tony (ELSLON)" <T.Hammond@elsevier.com>
Cc: fielding@apache.org, uri@w3.org

Hammond, Tony (ELSLON) scripsit:

> Thus I wonder if it's striclty correct
> to imply that the term URN refers to 'urn' URIs only, and whether some
> alternate wording could be used to say that URN refers to 'the subset of
> URIs that provide a persistent means of naming a resource' (I'm sure Larry's
> got a better definition) and to mention that specifically all URIs under the
> 'urn' scheme are by this dedfinition of type 'URN'.

I usually say, when explaining the concept, that the "news:", "mid:" and
"cid:" schemes are conceptually URNs, although they are grandfathered
and don't begin with "urn:".

I realize that these are deep and perilous waters.

--
John Cowan        http://www.ccil.org/~cowan          jcowan@reutershealth.com
Please leave your values                Check your assumptions.  In fact,