Re: draft-fielding-uri-rfc2396bis-03

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@apache.org>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 21:38:03 -0700
Cc: <uri@w3.org>
To: "Dan Kohn" <dan@dankohn.com>

> Roy, latest draft looks great, except for the following issues (all
> minor):

Thanks.

> Under no reasonable definition of the phrase "in common use" could the
> gopher URI fit.  It should be removed.

It is pretty common in historical documents. ;-)  Seriously, though,
gopher is still in common use in Universities.  I'd prefer to find a
replacement example, such as imap or urn -- suggestions are welcome.

> In Appendix D, please consider putting the names of rules in
> <brackets>,
> as recommended in RFC 2234, Section 2.1.

I actually tried that while working on 03 and the result was butt-ugly
and much harder to read.

Unless there is a strong objection, I'd prefer to keep it clean.

> There's not enough information to dereference [Siedzik]. The symbolic
> name [UTF-8} should be changed to [RFC2279] for consistency.  Also,
> please change <?rfc sortrefs="no"?> to yes to make it easier to review
> the references.

Hmm, I guess we should be consistent.  Personally, I prefer symbolic
names like UTF-8 except when we are referring to a specific RFC number.

http://www.giac.org/practical/gsec/Richard_Siedzik_GSEC.pdf

Unfortunately, the xml2rfc doesn't know much about non-RFC references.

....Roy