RE: Proposal: new top level domain '.urn' alleviates all need for urn: URIs

You may be right ;-)

> I have set up web sites where http://X and https://X, for the
> same X, have
> resulted in completely different pages that then do different things.
>
> In fact, the equivalence was between https://X/Y and
> http://X/Itrustyou/Y

Though it is still important to make the distinction between
denotation and behavior (accessible representations).

Even though you may provide representations to someone you
trust that you wouldn't provide to someone you don't, that
doesn't mean the http: and https: URIs above don't denote
the same resource.

They may denote, e.g., a financial statement -- where a
representation provided to a trusted client is more
informative than a representation provided to an anonymous
client.

Neither different URIs nor different sets of representations
are a basis for inferring difference in denotation.

Likewise, equivalent sets of representations are not a basis
for inferring equivalence of denotation.

That's why we need tools such as RDF, OWL, and URIQA.

Patrick

--
Patrick Stickler
Nokia, Finland