Re: Proposal: new top level domain '.urn' alleviates all need for urn: URIs

Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> The following is a proposal for an alternative solution
> meeting the goals of urn: URIs but with http: URIs so
> that the full richness of the web architecture can be
> exploited.
>
> (sincerest apologies to all the folks who have worked long
>  and hard on DDDS... perhaps now to no avail)

I don't think the DDDS folks will be too worried about this.

But if you insist on going forward, then:

  http://urn.X.Y/

is a sufficient hack. It also doesn't require inventing new points
of failure in the web architecture*, doing DDDS badly, or the costs
of dealing with ICANN and whoever provides this service.

Bill de hÓra

* As for the full richness of the web archiecture, think about how
the provider would scale this service. - I suspect purl works
because not many people use it.