Re: Rationalizing the term URI

[suggest followup to uri@w3.org]

On Thursday, Jan 23, 2003, at 09:53 US/Eastern, Julian Reschke wrote:

> [...]

In fact, specifications of languages which call out URIs actually call
out (and indeed should always call out) the uri reference production.
This definition remains unchanged.
And, of course, a spec always calls out a term from a particular version
of another spec. So things don't formally break, but they might add
confusion.
Against that is the problem of people actually using URI (or more
often URL) for something which can have a fragid.

I agree, it is bad practice to change definitions.  So it depends on
whether
there really are more important documents which use "URI" in the
constrained way.
In many conversations people avoid the term

If you are concerned about common parlance, then I would find that
the words are already used in a mixed way, but probably the term "URI"
is often used when something is not constrained not to have
a fragment identifier.

> 2) On the other hand, *if* the definition is changed, there's no way to
> avoid defining a *new* term for what a URI used to be. Or am I missing
> something?

No, you are not missing anything.
Various things were suggested in the TAG discussion on this topic.
It isn't obvious how often it is needed.