Re: URI reference to a directory

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:07:38 -0700
To: Daniel Brockman <daniel@brockman.nu>
Cc: Israel Viente <israel_viente@il.vio.com>, Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>, uri@w3.org

Daniel Brockman wrote:

> So does http://a/b identify the same resource as http://a/b/, and, if it
> doesn't, what is the semantical difference?

That depends entirely on the server.  I see breakage caused every day by
people who don't understand this.  For example, entries on my weblog
have URIs that look like this:

http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2003/08/25/AugPix

One of the weblog-ranking services (blogdex or popdex or whatever)
consistently fails in its attempts to point at my entries because it
stupidly assumes that since they don't end with .html or .pdf or
something, it should put a '/' on the end, which gives a 404 not found.

--
Cheers, Tim Bray
         (ongoing fragmented essay: http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/)