Re: URI reference to a directory

From: Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:02:45 +0200
Cc: "Israel Viente" <israel_viente@il.vio.com>, <uri@w3.org>
To: "Daniel Brockman" <daniel@brockman.nu>

Am Mittwoch, 27.08.03, um 21:40 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Daniel
Brockman:

> Israel Viente wrote:
>> Can a URI reference to a folder and not a file ?
>> How can you distinguish between a file URI and a folder one ?
>
> As I understand it, any URL ending with a slash identifies a directory,
> while any other identifies either a file or a directory.

That would be true for file: URIs. For other URI schemes you generally
cannot deduce such a thing. Pure HTTP does not have the concept of
a "file" or "directory". A client makes a GET on the URI and will
get a representation (or 404 or something else).

WebDAV, as extension of HTTP, defines "collections" which behave
like folders in a file system. A client performs a PROPFIND request
and asks the server for the type of the resource.

//Stefan