RE: [Uri-review] SMB URL v05.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your clarifications.

Yes, I suggest the '/ipx/' and '/at/' forms in RFC 2609
URIs for NetWare/IPX and Appletalk should be included
in RFC2396bis.  URIs are much more useful if they
can extend beyond DNS-based naming/addressing.

Service URIs are _supposed_ to be constructed based on
existing "concrete" (IANA-registered) URI schemes.

Service URIs that are self-descriptive use the SLPv2
format of "service:abstract-type:concrete-type:...",
where "abstract-type" is an IANA-registered (or private)
abstract service type (for example "printer"), as
published in the directory:

    ftp://ftp.iana.org/assignments/svrloc-templates/

For example, a single SLP (or equivalent LDAP) service
advertisement that uses abstract "service:printer:..."
often includes more six or more legacy print protocols
in the attribute "printer-xri-supported" (which supports
authentication and security elements separate from the
URI themselves).

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald, co-editor of SLP and LDAP Printer schemes
  High North Inc