RE: Resources and URIs

On 29 Apr 2003 at 15:30, Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com wrote:

 > > My understanding of his view is that http: URIs can only name
 > > documents, unless they're URIrefs containing # in which case they
 > > can name things of any kind.
 >
 > Well, I'm also familiar with Tim's recent arguments along these
 > lines, though I think he is in this case in a pretty small minority.
 >
 > If URIs can denote anything, then one need not use a URIref to
 > denote something that is not a "web document".

I don't really understand why anybody ought to use "http:" URIs to
denote anything other than the document dereferenceable via that URI
and the HTTP protocol.  That seems to be asking for confusion.  Why
not use a different URI scheme if one needs URIs to denote non-
dereferenceable entities such as persons or organizations?

--
Dan