Re: Resources and URIs

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 07:02:03 -0400
To: Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com
Cc: phayes@ai.uwf.edu, gk@ninebynine.org, uri@w3.org

Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com scripsit:

> And how, pray tell, do you deal with multiple representations?

A fair criticism, and on reflection I see that the TM distinction doesn't
really address thing vs. representation at all.

Instead, it distinguishes "electronic thing" from "non-electronic thing",
which is also an important distinction.  I got into this on xml-dev,
enquiring "What is the URI for the W3C?  If the W3C doesn't know that,
it doesn't know much.  :-)"

Someone said that TBL's answer to this was "http://www.w3.org/Consortium/",
In that case, said I, what is the URI of the document titled "About
the W3C"?  No answer.  I began to feel like the village atheist saying
"And who created God?"

TM does at least deal with *this* problem.

> (and BTW, I started with ISO TMs and XTM long before I got into RDF,
> and was wooed by RDF precisely because of issues such as this, so
> I'm not a "blind RDF fart who just won't take the time to consider
> TMs seriously" ;-)

Okay, okay.  One never knows how much knowledge to presume when
jumping headlong into a discussion with both feet first.

--
John Cowan                                   jcowan@reutershealth.com
        "You need a change: try Canada"  "You need a change: try China"