RE: Resources and URIs

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:07:58 +0100
To: <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>, <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Cc: <uri@w3.org>

At 14:54 28/04/2003 +0300, Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com wrote:
> > >So I think there are two questions:
> > >
> > >(1) what is a resource?
> > >(2) does a URI identifiy a single particular resource?
> > >
> > >I think the answer to (2) is "yes" by my understanding of URIs (e.g.
> > >RFC2396 section 1.1:  "An identifier is an object that can act as a
> > >reference to *something* [that has identity]."  Even if you ignore
> > >the problematic words [that has identity] (I think they're redundant
> > >here), I think the words still say that the identifier refers to a
> > >single entity:  "something" is singular.
>
>Graham, do you mean here that, at least by design, URIs should not be
>overloaded
>to denote more than one thing?

I mean *in a given interpretation* a URI should not denote more than one
thing, using the term interpretation in its MT sense.

(My reading of Pat's point is that different interpretations may provide
different denotations, and to try and prevent that is tantamount to logical
pixie dust, and I want to avoid such stuff if I can.)

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>