RE: We don't need no stinkin' identity

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 13:52:40 -0700
To: <uri@w3c.org>
Cc: "Pat Hayes" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>

Personally, I think the problem of grounding
assertions in the real world is a Hard Problem,
and that those who've been working on RDF or
Semantic Web have tried to avoid this problem
by wishful thinking that the "URI" could somehow
be used as a universal semantic concept
designator and that it would do the heavy lifting
all by itself.

I just don't think it works, and no amount
of wordsmithing in RFC 2396bis will actually
help much.

I'm all for the URI specification explicitly
disclaiming this responsibility. For a proposed
specific wording: