Re: resources, stuffs and individuation

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 19:46:19 -0400
To: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Cc: uri@w3c.org

pat hayes scripsit:

> Indeed. I have been a professor in two philosophy departments, but I
> wouldnt count myself as a philosopher.

If Ray Smullyan says that Ferdinand the Bull is a (pacifist) philosopher,
I hardly see why you don't qualify, except under a highly arbitrary
definition that would, after all, exclude Socrates (who AFAWK published
nothing).

> For an example, consider the description "The tallest building which,
> at 9am on the 20th of October 1998, was further north than the oldest
> plumber born in Philadelphia." Barring extraordinary plumber
> fortitude, this description picks out a unique building, but I have
> no idea how to set about finding it.  Is that building 'identified'
> in your sense? Why?

It's not obviously unique, since several buildings might be at exactly
the same latitude.

--
Do what you will,                       John Cowan
   this Life's a Fiction                jcowan@reutershealth.com