Re: Resources and URIs

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@apache.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:01:53 -0700
Cc: uri@w3c.org
To: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>

> I have a suggested wording change, because while I have been largely
> unimpressed by the philosophical jargon being thrown around here
> recently, I do agree that the current definition "A resource can be
> anything that has identity" offers significant room for improvement;
> among other things it deserves to be called out and not sequestered in
> a <dd>.

Huh?  <dl> is a definition list in HTML.  All I want is a definition of
the "R" in URI, and the existing one is sufficient without excluding
anything that might be in the class of resources identified by URI.

> Here you go:

Thank you for proposing some real text!  However, please note that the
definition of resource in 2396 extends beyond the scope of the Web and
into all of the possible things that Internet protocols might identify.
I cannot use a subset of examples to define the concept because then
people use the examples to declare those outside the set to not be
resources.

....Roy