Re: resources, stuffs and individuation

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 18:42:38 -0400
To: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Cc: uri@w3c.org

Yes, I took your sense of "identity" to be the reasonably tight notion of
"one and the same thing as", "selfsame thing as", rather than the more
socially-tinged sense of "identity" sometimes encountered for eg in a
humanities context, where we might talk about the different "identities"
I have online, or how one's identity is culturally constructed or
whathaveyou.

The advantage of the former sense is that there is so little to it. We live
in a world of things/entities/objects of various kinds, and there are
taken to be facts of the matter about whether any two references to
such entities refer to the selfsame thing or to different things. All the
harder-to-model role oriented stuff gets layered on top of this basic
worldview...

Dan