Re: iCal

I think they're using the scheme for dispatch, because they can't rely on
the media type being properly set, and/or they're lazy.

This probably stems from the media type in a PUT being ignored; I'm not a
WebDAV expert, but my testing with mod_put on Apache indicates that the
media type of the PUT isn't used as metadata in subsequent GETs.

It seems pretty clear cut in 2616 (section 9.6):

 [[[ The PUT method requests that the enclosed entity be stored under the
supplied Request-URI.]]]

Note that it's "entity," not just "entity-body."

[[[ The recipient of the entity MUST NOT ignore any Content-* (e.g.
Content-Range) headers that it does not understand or implement and MUST
return a 501 (Not Implemented) response in such cases.]]]

[[[ Unless otherwise specified for a particular entity-header, the
entity-headers in the PUT request SHOULD be applied to the resource
created or modified by the PUT.]]]

Anyone know of WebDAV (or plain PUT) implementations that correctly
implement this? I suspect it isn't widely implemented, because most Web
servers use filename extension rather than separate, per-resource metadata
to determine media type.