iCal

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 21:58:26 -0700
To: <uri@w3.org>

Apple's iCal [1] allows you to publish calendars (using the iCal format)
to Web servers and later retrieve them, using WebDAV*. However, they use a
non-HTTP URI scheme to denote a calendar - 'webcal'.

Is this new, and if so, can pressure be put upon the Apple W3C folks? This
is not a small abuse; I fear 'gif' and 'html' URI schemes will be close
behind if we're not careful.

* They claim it requires WebDAV, but I was able to successfully publish my
calendar to a server that only supports PUT (as any REAL Web server
should). I don't have data yet as to whether they excercise anything else
in DAV...

--
Mark Nottingham