Re: no parameter in first segment of relative URI?

On Friday, October 11, 2002, at 09:43  AM, Stefan Eissing wrote:
> My point is that allowing ':' in path segments makes life more
> complicated than it needs to be.
>
> Unless there is a compelling reason for allowing unescaped ':'
> in path segments of *hierarchical* URIs, the spec should say that
> ':' needs to be escaped in these segments.

Existing practice is a compelling reason.

> Then, generating correct relative URIs from absolute ones is
> much less painful and less error prone.
>
> Currently, code that "reliativizes" URIs needs to carefully check
> that the first segment does not contain ':'. If it does, it needs
> to prefix a './' to the relative URI.

If I added your constraint to the syntax, then the code would still
have to do the same thing, since it isn't safe to assume the URI was
revised according to the new spec and it isn't valid to automatically
percent-encode the ":".  Either way, the code remains the same, and
we just piss-off the authors by demanding changes for no purpose.

....Roy