update RFC 2396

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 22:08:01 -0700
To: <uri@w3.org>
Cc: "'Roy T. Fielding'" <fielding@apache.org>, "'Tim Berners-Lee'" <timbl@w3.org>
I'm getting some pressure to update RFC 2396, if only
to incorporate RFC 2732 (the IPv6 modifications) and
related errata. (Well, to be honest, I'm getting pressure
to update RFC 2732, but I'd rather just incorporate the
change in an updated 2396).

We'd recycle it at Draft Standard, wait 6 months, and
then go for Standard. I think it's about time URI went
to Standard anyway.

Of course, I don't think it will be possible to avoid
dealing with the URI/URL/URN issue while we're at it,
but it seems inevitable, and we might as well start now.

Opinions?

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net