Re: proposed charter items for possible URI working group

Hello Larry,

I had some discussions on this at the IETF last week.
It wasn't clear whether we would need a WG for this,
and one idea was to first wait to see Roy's update
to be able to judge the nature of the changes.

My take is that if it's just simple updates/cleanup
of RFC 2396, a WG may not be necessary. But if we are
going to work on other documents, too, then maybe it's
better to have a WG.

I propose to add one additional item:

Update the syntax of host names: Currently, this is one of the
only places where %hh-escaping isn't allowed. Implementations
are mixed, some browsers e.g. accept http://www.w%33.org while
others don't. So this may go under "(b) document variations in
current practice, as warnings to implementors." below.
With Internationalized Domain Names, allowing %hh in host names
is necessary for consistency.

The actual text is currently in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idn-uri-02.txt,
and there is some chance that the IDN WG moves this forward.
But in either way, it should be folded into the URI spec.

Regards,     Martin.