Re: tags

On 23 Jan 2002 at 21:00, Patrick Stickler wrote:

> But since tag: is not a hierarchical URI scheme, one cannot use
> existing APIs and libraries that are able to recognize and parse
> hierarchical URIs. You then have to roll your own for the tag
> scheme, and any other scheme that "allows" you to have proprietary
> hierarchical syntax.

To what purpose would one wish to have software automatically parse
out the hierarchical levels of a non-URL URI?  Even with URLs, with
their specified hierarchy, you can't always reach a useful resource
by simply paring off levels from the hierarchy, though users
sometimes try it in their attempts to get around sites with poor
navigation structures.  (There's a Bugzilla entry for the Mozilla
browser that suggests adding an "Up" button that does this hierarchy
slicing, with much debate over whether this is desirable or not --
many seem to think power users will find it useful but novices will
get too confused.)  While this has some (intermittent) utility for
URL navigation, what purpose would it serve for other URI types?

In general, I'd like to see more detailed description in the
proposals for new URI schemes and URN namespaces of just what
purposes these schemes can be used for.  There are lots of intriguing
ideas for namespaces in these proposals, but they tend to be rather
light on specifics about just what practical use they are.  Some
concrete examples of uses to which they may be put would be helpful.

--
Dan
Dan's Web Tips: http://www.dantobias.com/webtips/