Re: Base URIs vs. Document URIs.

From: Jason Diamond <jason@injektilo.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 08:46:04 -0800
To: <uri@w3.org>
Thanks, Paul.

> >Is there any way to resolve something like "#s" against the base URI and
not
> >the document URI?
>
> I'd suggest that you shouldn't be calling resolveURI at all in the case
> that the relative URI reference is merely a fragment identifier.  There
> is nothing to resolve.

I need some function that accepts a URI reference and returns a URI. If you
know of a more appropriate name than resolveURI then I would be happy to use
it. I only chose resolveURI since Appendix C uses the term resolve and it
includes the example of the URI reference "#s".

I only asked the question out of pure curiosity--I don't think I would ever
need to do it.

But just so I understand, let's say that my document URI is
<http://example.org/document.xml> and my base URI is
<http://example.org/base.xml> and I want to resolve to
<http://example.org/base.xml#fragment>, the only URI reference that I can
think of that would get me what I want is <base.xml#fragment> because if I
used <#fragment>, it would get resolved to
<http://example.org/document.xml#fragment>. Is this correct?

I really appreciate your helping me to understand these issues!

Jason.