Re: Unseasonal, maybe: But what is the URI for "null"?

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 05:15:05PM -0500, Al Gilman wrote:
> At 01:49 PM 2002-01-02 , Michael Mealling wrote:
> >On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 01:35:20PM -0500, Al Gilman wrote:
> >> At 08:47 AM 2001-12-23 , tony_hammond@harcourt.com wrote:
> >> There are many fictive URIs one can coin using the reserved domain names of
> >> RFC-2606, such as
> >>
> >> <cid:garbageStringOfYourChoice@mail.example.net> and
> >> <urn:example.org:topic:aspect:nit>.
> >
> >Just so we squish these when they come up, that URN is invalid.
> >URN's are specifically disallowed form having '.' in their namespace ID.
> >The only allowed characters are A-Z, a-z and '-'. You are strongly
> >discouraged from using NIDs that even appear to look like domain-names.
> >IMHO, urn:example:topic:bla would be better....
> >

> Sorry, point taken.  Make that <urn:example.invalid:foo:bar:baz>.  But we
> don't want to limit ourselves to broken examples.  So building on RFC-2606
> is not cool by best URN practice.

Well, what you have there may have been a typo but just in case, that
should be <urn:example:invalid:foo:bar:baz>. The period character is
completely disallowed between the first and second colons for a URN.

> Is there any "writing of normative record" reserving this use you suggested of
> 'example' as an NID?  Or any other effective alternative?

Not that I'm aware of. It might be worth putting into the rfc2611bis document
before its finished...

-MM

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | urn:pin:1
michael@neonym.net      |                              | http://www.neonym.net