Re: proposed charter items for possible URI working group

* Larry Masinter wrote:
>I've been asked to propose a charter for a possible URI working
>group to work on next phase topics. The working group should
>be narrowly focused to insure viability and keep us from wandering
>into unsolvable problems. For this purpose, I propose the
>following items to be in scope:

I'd like to have a BCP RFC documenting the recent practise for new
fragment identification mechanisms like XPointer or as proposed in
XFrames to use some functional notations in the fragment identifier
just like

  document#xpointer(...)
  document#frames(...)
  document#xmlns(...)%20element(...)

>OTHER TOPICS
>
>I think it would be good to finally 'obsolete' RFC 1738,
>but it's necessary to do something, I think, with the
>URI scheme definitions that are only documented there:
>"file" is used widely but documented correctly nowhere.
>"http" was defined in the HTTP spec and "mailto" has its
>own RFC, "telnet" is still used, "news" and "gopher"
>less so, and I haven't seen a "nttp", "wais" or "prospero"
>in years.

'nntp' is less common, because most software allows the 'news' scheme to
refer to NNTP servers, just like

followed by either a message id or a news group name. 'news' is rather
common, though, but mostly on Usenet for obvious reasons.