RE: Using fragment identifiers with URNs

At 10:04 PM 2001-09-26 , Stephen Cranefield wrote:
>Roy Fielding wrote:
>> The notion of retrieval is not in any way specific to the URI
>> scheme -- there is a paragraph in RFC 2396 that says exactly
>> that, regardless of whether it is a locator or a name.
>
>Could you identify this paragraph?  I can only find paragraphs
>that contradict this, e.g.:
>
>  This paper describes a "superset" of operations that can be applied
>  to URI.  ...  Some of the functionality described is not applicable
>  to all URI schemes ...
>
>  Not all resources are network "retrievable"; e.g., human beings,
>  corporations, and bound books in a library can also be considered
>  resources. ...
>
>  A fragment identifier is only meaningful when a URI reference [sic]
>  is intended for retrieval and the result of that retrieval is a document
>  for which the identified fragment is consistently defined.
>
>  [I presume this last paragraph should really say "... when a URI
>  is intended for retrieval ..." as a *URI reference* is always intended
>  for retrieval according to the definition in Section 4.1.]

AG::

No, you are not following why it says that.  The #fragment that appears in a
URI-reference is not part of the URI.  So it can only say "A fragment
identifier is only meaningful when a URI-reference..." because a fragment
identifier is only _present_ in the context of a URI-reference.  In the