RE: RFC2518 (WebDAV) / RFC2396 (URI) inconsistency

That would be an advantage.

> The
> disadvantage being that it introduces yet another scheme...

Quite so.

I also suspect that *alot* of applications already treat URI
scheme prefixes as unique identifiers (even if not fully valid
URIs) and so a change to (or perhaps merely an interpretation of)
the current specs such as I proposed would be more backwards
compatible.

Cheers,

Patrick