Re: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-daigle-uri-std-00.txt

"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:

 > At 08:31 AM 9/7/00 -0400, Michael Mealling wrote:
 >
 > >The abstract concept of 'number' is pretty airy. The concrete case of
 > >'positive integers' is fairly well constrained. The concept of URIs
 > >should be viewed in the same level of the concept of 'number' and the
 > >general case of 'number theory'. If your application needs the equivalent
 > >of 'positive integers' then say so. Why do you insist on the rest of
 > >us having to constrain ourselves to that new, more constrained definition?
 >
 > I think the 'rest of us' might well benefit from clearer distinctions
 > between URIs and the resources they identify, from a comparison mechanism
 > that simplifies URI processing, and from a foundation vocabulary that makes
 > it easy to say "this scheme is subject to x, y, and z constraints".

I'm glad that you're pushing for a distinction between URIs and the resources
they identify, because the confusion of the two is like the confusion between
Alice and "Alice".   It's one thing to leave a concept flexible, but quite
another to leave it logically inconsistent.

Paul Abrahams