Re: URIs-Resource relationships

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 05:54:57PM +0100, Graham Klyne wrote:
> At 11:47 AM 9/7/00 -0400, liberte@crystaliz.com wrote:
> >I think we also understand and agree that some applications need more
> >constraints.  But one question is whether those constraints might
> >retroactively apply to all applications or only some.   I believe the
> >answer should be only some, to avoid over constraining, and to be
> >backward compatible with already deployed applications.
>
> This feels all wrong to me... I think I must be missing something here.  I
> think constraints, where needed, are a matter for each application and
> should _never_ apply retroactively to other applications.

I was unclear.  I meant only new applications would adopt the constraints.

But now that you mention it,...

Why can't some preexisting applications get additional constraints, if
it is not too much work to "impose" on them.    It may be that the
constraints already apply because the authors of the applications
never thought to do otherwise; but declaring the constraints explicitly
will help other applications interoperate.
Or additional constraints can be added to applications in
backward compatible ways regarding the protocols, such as HTTP 1.1 vs 1.0.

--
Daniel LaLiberte
liberte@crystaliz.com