URIs for Physical Items

From: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@upclink.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 16:46:38 -0500
To: <uri@w3.org>
With the increasing popularity of URIs, especially with their increased
importance in RDF, it becomes more important than ever to have URIs for all
sorts of items. Already, protocols like isbn: allow the use of some types of
physical items, but this still leaves quite a lot left.

Would it be appropriate to use the URLs to the websites of such items? For
example, if I wanted to talk about my iBook, pointing to
http://apple.com/ibook/ or does this refer to the homepage, rather than the
item itself?

I hope this is an appropriate topic of discussion for this list. If not, my
apologies, and suggestion for a better place would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot for your help,
--
Aaron Swartz <aswartz@upclink.com>|       The Info Network
<http://www.swartzfam.com/aaron/> |     <http://theinfo.org>