Re: URI schemes vs. URN namespaces

From: Leslie Daigle <leslie@thinkingcat.com>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 17:52:13 -0400
To: Ray Denenberg <rden@loc.gov>
Cc: W3C URI List <uri@w3.org>, Norman Paskin <n.paskin@doi.org>, Larry Lannom <llannom@cnri.reston.va.us>, "Sun, Sam X." <ssun@cnri.reston.va.us>
Howdy,

Ray Denenberg wrote:
> namespace. My question was, on what basis do they make that decision; is it
> completely arbitrary?  I gather (from your message) that you don't necessarily
> think it's completely arbitrary, that there will be characteristics of a scheme
> that will help guide that determination, for example handle has a complete
> resolution protocol which would argue for a URI scheme while a less
> well-developed system might want to avail itself of some of the URN resolution
> infrastructure, which would argue for a URN namespace.  Is this on the right
> track?

This is pretty much what I was getting at.

I would perhaps phrase it slightly differently -- organizations which
don't need to develop end-to-end protocols can leverage the
URN infrastructure, etc.

> This is helpful (if it's accurate) but I think this sort of discussion
> needs to be formally documented and some guidelines developed.

In principle, yes; in practice -- I don't believe we have enough
practice to yet to be very detailed or firm in guidelines.

Leslie.

"My body obeys Aristotelian laws of physics."
   -- ThinkingCat

Leslie Daigle
leslie@thinkingcat.com