RE: IURI questions

From: Martin J. Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 18:47:36 +0900
To: "Rogers, Paul" <progers@vignette.com>
Cc: "'Larry Masinter'" <LM@att.com>, uri@w3.org
At 09:38 00/02/21 -0600, Rogers, Paul wrote:
> While we await the results of that review, I have the following questions

[by the way, sorry to be late, I was heavily ill (and am not yet
really fully recovered)]

> * (the real point of my queries)  To what extent is the Unicode
> normalization occurring.

IURIs are definitely assumed to be normalized. I just sent out an anouncement
of an I-D I put together, to help the IETF adopt normalization.

> I'm trying to determine how hard to work to obtain normalization code in
> order to satisfy step 2 of section 2.2 of the IURI draft...?

Well, that depends on which platform you are on, what languages you want
to care about, and so on. Normalization is designed so that in most
cases, you don't actually have to do something.

I suggest that you create a good bunch of test cases, and check them
for normalization e.g. with http://www.w3.org/International/charlint/,
or that you tell us more about the circumstances of your work.
But if this is about normalization, maybe it would be better to
move the discussion to the lists I have indicated in the normalization
I-D.

Regards,   Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org