Re: XML Base for relative URIs: Interpretation of 5.1 of RFC 2396

From: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 10:22:41 -0700
To: Leslie Daigle <leslie@thinkingcat.com>, "Martin J. Duerst" <duerst@w3.org>
Cc: uri@w3.org, www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org
At 10:57 2000 07 11 -0400, Leslie Daigle wrote:
>"Martin J. Duerst" wrote:
>> Second, Section 5.1 doesn't seem to consider the case of
>> inclusion in the way this happens with entities or similar
>> cases.
>
>I don't agree.  The idea of "encapsulated entity" (section 5.1.2)
>seems to apply well to your external entity.  I doubt it was what
>was in mind when that section was written, but it does seem
>eminently applicable.  It would then suggest that xml:base should
>scope into external entities.

Not to my way of thinking.  The idea of "encapsulated entity" in
section 5.1.2 of RFC 2396 is not really parallel to external
entities--if anything, it is more similar to internal entities.

XML external entities are separate resources with their own
URI by which they are retrieved, and some (most?) resources that
are, at times, processed as XML external entities can, in fact,
be read/parsed/treated as an XML document entity themselves at
other times.

paul