RE: Command line for news?

At 08:38 AM 11/5/99 -0800, Larry Masinter wrote:
>At the time RFC 1738 was written, there were no news servers that
>required a password. In any case, putting passwords in URLs is never
>a good idea, ever.
>
>It wouldn't be bad to dust off the "news" specification (as well
>as the others) so that we could obsolete RFC 1738 completely.

There is an obsolete I-D which describes how to put username and password
in a 'news' URL and why not to.

So far as I know there has been no further work beyond

<http://www.access.digex.net/~asgilman/uri/news/draft-gilman-news-url-02.txt>

I will at least answer questions on why certain things were done as they
were in that draft and could perhaps do some further editing if there is a
need.

Al