RE: oh no... please... not two lists...?

From: Daniel LaLiberte <liberte@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 14:57:19 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Weibel,Stu" <weibel@oclc.org>
Cc: URN-IETF@LISTS.INTERNIC.NET, uri@w3.org
Weibel,Stu writes:
 > I guess what I am suggesting is that URN-IETF and URI@w3.orf have
 > overlapping objectives and, judging from the traffic, could be conflated.

We are certainly interested in discussing issues of persistence on the
uri@w3.org list, but we don't necessarily have the same predisposition
toward the "urn" issue as the people on the urn-ietf list (I'm on both
lists, btw).  I'd like to think that we will be more open minded on the
uri list, although every individual has their own biases.

 > And yes,  I agree with the other sentiments expressed... need for open
 > discussion, etc.

In case it is not clear to folks (I know Stu knows), if W3C (including
its members) decide to start a working group with some specific agenda,
then that group, and its own list, will very likely have adopted some
assumptions to constrain its work.  But that should not affect the
openness of the public uri list.

--
Daniel LaLiberte
liberte@w3.org