Re: Cool URIs & MIME Types

From: Martin J. Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 17:53:40 +0900
To: Dan Kohn <dan@teledesic.com>
Cc: "'timbl@w3.org'" <timbl@w3.org>, "'uri@w3.org'" <uri@w3.org>, "Fork (E-mail)" <fork@kragen.dnaco.net>
At 09:49 99/12/28 -0800, Dan Kohn wrote:
> Tim, I was extremely impressed with your essay
> <http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI> about architecting permanent URIs,
> however I think you need to be clear that by removing the file extension,
> you are implicitly suggesting segregating MIME types by directory.  If you
> think every URI should be it's own directory (not a completely crazy
> suggestion), it would be worth making the suggestion explicit.

Hello Dan,

I think you confused something. Leaving out the extension
is not the same as using a directory.

For example, you can have
   mydocument.html
and
   mydocument.pdf
as files, and serve them both for
   .../mydocument
choosing the right one depending on content negotiation.

Regards,   Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org