Re: problem with 'news' url draft

Ned Freed (Ned.Freed@innosoft.com)
Thu, 05 Mar 1998 23:37:05 -0800 (PST)

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 23:37:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Ned Freed <Ned.Freed@innosoft.com>
To: sob@academ.com
Cc: Al Gilman <asgilman@access.digex.net>, uri@Bunyip.Com, phil@netscape.com,
Subject: Re: problem with 'news' url draft

> I don't know what the RFC number is for a news protocol that runs on port 563.
> Can someone help me here? Is it just one of those things that people
> did, but there is no document defining it? If that's the case, then I
> would say that having a URL scheme for a protocol that is not defined
> is not a good thing to do.

Port 563 is assigned to NNTP over TLS/SSL. I assume this is NNTP in the
conventional sense and not some different protocol.

Note that using separate ports for TLS/SSL protocol variants has security
impliciations; these days negotiation of security options within the
protocol (and using the regular port) is usually considered to be the right
way to go.

				Ned