Re: [URN] Re: URI documents

Sam Sun <ssun@CNRI.Reston.VA.US> wrote:
>I didn't follow the history of the issue long enough, and don't quite
>understand why " [ "#" fragment ] " has to be defined in the URI/URL
>syntax.
>
>In the case of URL, The " [ "#" fragment ] " is only used or useful by some
>URL schemes. So my question is: is it acceptable to say that the fragment
>is scheme dependent, and don't bring it up in the URI definition?

	They are not "scheme dependent".  They are defined via application
conventions, presently for text/html documents, and should apply no matter
what scheme is used to retrieve such documents (i.e., not just http, although
HTTP/1.n has one of the clearest means of specifing the MIME type).  (An)
application convention(s) could, someday, be specified in relation to (a)
scheme(s).  Why impose a restriction against someday doing so for some URNs,
or for URNs that might return text/html documents such that the existing
conventions would apply?

				Fote