Re: [URN] development track for "where-it-says"

David G. Durand (david@dynamicdiagrams.com)
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 16:31:41 -0800

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 16:31:41 -0800
From: david@dynamicdiagrams.com (David G. Durand)
To: connolly@w3.org, masinter@parc.xerox.com (Larry Masinter),
Subject: Re:  [URN] development track for "where-it-says"
Cc: urn-ietf@bunyip.com, uri@bunyip.com

The XLL linking language has a very simple literal string match in its
locator language (whose expressions _can_ be placed in the fragment
identifier of a URL). It also has a lot of structural operations that
don't make much sense for non-XML documents, of course.

The current URL architecture forces you to decide if things are server
side (in the URL) or client-side (in the fragment ID). At one point
XML had added an additional delimiter ("|", I believe) to express that
the application is free to decide.

I'm behind on the drafts, so this may have changed -- and the drafts
may not currently reflect the editor's most recent thinking, but I'm
not aware that this aspect has changed from what I'm describing.

   -- David
xvip
David Durand                 dgd@cs.bu.edu| david@dynamicDiagrams.com
Boston University Computer Science        | Dynamic Diagrams
http://www.cs.bu.edu/students/grads/dgd/  | http://dynamicDiagrams.com/