development track for "where-it-says"

Al Gilman (asgilman@access.digex.net)
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 14:54:04 -0500 (EST)

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@access.digex.net>
Subject: development track for "where-it-says"
To: masinter@parc.xerox.com (Larry Masinter), connolly@w3.org
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 14:54:04 -0500 (EST)
Cc: uri@bunyip.com, urn-ietf@bunyip.com

To do a little forward thinking, and follow up on what Larry Masinter said:

> The "#fragment" notation is only used for named components.

Makes a lot of sense to me.

My initial stab at syntax for "where-it-says" was a
searchpart along the lines of ...?find="string-to-match" .

What I have learned from this discussion is that I need to start
with the HTML community.

If I can interest HTMLx development in exporting a reliable (i.e.
consistent across browsers) string-matching search/location
method for HTML, I hope that the URL specs won't have narrowed to
the point where there is no reasonable syntax by which to ask for
it.

I believe that the XML project is already working on
intra-document locators in XLL although I am not sure that they
provide any sort of a pattern match yet.

-- Al Gilman

PS: I know that searchparts are presently server-side functions
but I don't immediately see that extending them to be sometimes
done client-side poses any real conflict.