Re: [URN] draft-ietf-urn-nid-req-01.txt

Patrik Faltstrom wrote:

> > Is it really necessary/useful to go through this exercise twice?
>
> A namespace is definitely not the same thing as a URL scheme. Two
> different things, but the _process_ can be similar, just like the
> processes defined for MIME-types.

Hmm... argument by assertion. I can play that game too:
A namespace definitely IS the same thing as a URL scheme.

I don't have any logical argument, but I can cite the
intent of the designer of URLs:

-------------
http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/DesignIssues/Naming.html
TimBL, circa 1990

The WWW scheme uses a prefix to give the addressing sub-scheme, and
then a syntax dependent on the prefix used, in order to be open to any
new naming systems.

See also, RFC1630 (informational) and TimBL's more recent writings:
http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/DesignIssues/NameMyth.html
including a very intersting and relavent bit
about "Naming: A social and contracual Issue."

As a trump card, I'll play occam's razor, which places
the burden on you to show that they're different.

--
Dan Connolly, W3C Architecture Domain Lead
<connolly@w3.org> +1 512 310-2971