Re: UTF-8 and URLs

On Thu, 24 Apr 1997 09:56:56 -0700 (PDT) Larry Masinter
<masinter@parc.xerox.com> wrote:

> John,
>
> Your clarification didn't help me. And the sticking point
> for me is that "as a sequence of glyphs" is an important
> part of the transport of URLs, whether those glyphs are
> on paper or on the screen, and that the octet->glyph
> and glyph->octet route is really error-prone.

Well, it isn't a sticking point if we were to take the
position that everything past the domain name has to be
treated as opaque.  Were we to do that, then statements
about "sequences of glyphs" and mapping of them essentially
disappear entirely.

But, that said, I think your analysis and recommendations
are, modulo my considerable concerns about UTF-8,
reasonable and rational.

      john