Re: revised "generic syntax" internet draft

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997 15:50:11 +0200 (MET DST) Dan Oscarsson
<Dan.Oscarsson@trab.se> wrote:
> Well, Swedish letters like едц are normally called Latin, but I assume you
> mean ascii.

I can't speak for Roy, but, in my earlier note on the
subject, I meant *Latin*.  The reality is that UTF-8 is
"user friendly" --and will get through a lot of systems
without either advanced planning or difficulties-- if the
character set that is actually in use is ISO 8859-1, not
just ASCII.  It isn't too bad for the other Latin
alphabets.  But for the character collections that are
distinctly not Latin-based, the display resulting from the
use of UTF-8 in the absence of the sort of aggressive,
front-end, "everyone needs to apply it" translations that
Roy suggested are not only not user-friendly, but closely
approximate a secret code (worse than %-notation or the
notorious Q-P).

If one looks ahead more than a year or so and assumes
worldwide use of the Internet, there are more of "them"
than there are of "us" and the marginal fraction of the
population that considers 8859-1 (and hence UTF-8) to be
user-friendly as compared to ASCII is, unfortunately,
barely worth the trouble.

It would have been better had URLs been carefully and
thoughtfully internationalized from the very beginning.
For whatever reasons, they weren't.  A conversion now is
going to be painful.  But, if the pain is worth it, and I
suspect it might be, then let's look to a balanced,
equitable, *international* solution, not using UTF-8
encoding in the hope that no one who uses ideographic
characters will be bothered about what happens to them.

> If we cannot find a way to send URLs containing any character in a way so
> that the characters can be understood and displyed in a user friendly
> manner, the web and URLs are not the future.

I completely agree with this.  However, I think we need to
adopt a very broad understanding of "user friendly" as well
as keeping in mind that, for intersystem protocol purposes,
ASCII, -- or even the stable subset of ISO 646 / T.50 --
have a much more successful track record (in both the
IETF and ISO/ITU arenas) than any of the many attempts at
"national", "localized", "international", or "universal"
character sets.

   john