Re: Ftp-WG: New URL documents

James Casey wrote:

>Martin, originally these drafts belonged to the URI working group,
>which has now been closed, with the proviso that new groups would
>be formed to take on parts of its work outstanding.  At the San Jose
>IETF, there will be a BOF to discuss these new URL drafts, as well
>as deciding wheter to start a new URL working group.  I have added
>below  Larry Masinter's original message about this BOF which was
>sent to the URI working group list .
>
>james.
>
>>- In what ietf working group or other framework the current work
>>	on rewriting URL syntax RFCs is going on.
>>- Where the archives, the mailing list, the charter, and so on,
>>	of this group are, and how I can get them.
>>- What other information I would need to participate in this process.
>----
>To: uri@bunyip.com, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
>Subject: Re: Another fractional BOF
>From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
>Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 07:57:48 PST
>
>>Having negotiated with myself as well as the area directors and the
>>agenda gods, I wish to announce a schedule change:
>>
>>*  The HTTP-WG meeting at the December San Jose IETF will end
>>   35 minutes early on Tuesday. That is, HTTP has
>>     Mon Dec  9 9:30-11:30
>>     Tue Dec 10 9:00-10:55
>>   see ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/masinter/http-wg-agenda.html
>>   for tentative list of topics.
>>
>>*  There will be a "URL BOF", in the same room
>>    Tue Dec 10 11:00-11:30
>>
>>The agenda of the URL-BOF is:
>>
>>   -   review status of Internet Drafts intending to
>>       replace 'generic syntax' in RFC 1738 and RFC 1808
>>
>>      (I believe this will be
>>      draft-ietf-uri-url-syntax-00.txt )
>>
>>   -  Review current RFCs and Internet drafts
>>      describing URL schemes (ftp, file, news, telnet
>>      mailto, vemmi, data, etc.)
>>
>>   -  Decide on whether there is a need to (re)constitute
>>      a URL working group to
>>      - move URL from 'Proposed' to 'Draft' standard status
>>      - create a BCP for URL registration mechanisms
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Larry
>>(off-net for a week starting tomorrow, so don't expect replies.)

Larry - I will see you in Sevilla while you are off-net, and will
discuss this with you directly. But I also want to propose it here
officially:

Please make URL i18n one of the topics of the URL BOF!
Working on a draft/RFC for URL i18n in parallel and in
coordination with the above work would be ideal. And if
there is an URL group (re)constituted, i18n work clearly
belongs there.
Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend San Jose.

Regards,	Martin.

----
Dr.sc.  Martin J. Du"rst			    ' , . p y f g c R l / =
Institut fu"r Informatik			     a o e U i D h T n S -
der Universita"t Zu"rich			      ; q j k x b m w v z
Winterthurerstrasse  190			     (the Dvorak keyboard)
CH-8057   Zu"rich-Irchel   Tel: +41 1 257 43 16
 S w i t z e r l a n d	   Fax: +41 1 363 00 35   Email: mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch
----