iso glyphs

Masataka Ohta writes:

> > I propose that any character here be allowed, except for the
> > URL syntax characters, (things like < / : ) - in the non-DNS
> > part of the URL.
>
> Keld, how can you distinguish a Latin capital letter A and Greek
> capital letter alpha, both of which share the same graphical
> representation of 'A'?

By human intelligence:-) We are talking here on URLs in newspapers
and business cards etc, and some human recognizing these and
then entering them. (if it is in the machine already there
should be no problem). The human need to identifiy the character,
recognize the shape, and understand what it means. Normally
humans are good at such things. If the context is greek, then
the letter is an alpha, in Russian context it would be a Cyrillic A.
If the URL can be misunderstood, the firm using it has done
a bad choice for their marketing.

Keld