Re: [URN] Checksums in URNs

On Thu, 19 Dec 1996, Towsner wrote:

> >Checksums and other kinds of decorations can be done outside the
> >URL. Think of it as a metascheme:
> >          ck:<checksum><url>
> > e.g.     ck:A3Bd:http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter
>
> 	I like the idea of having the checksum be optional, as a
> meta-scheme.

Same for me.

>I also think the checksum should be limited to alpha-numeric
> characters, to avoid confusion.

What do you mean by "limited to alpha-numeric characters"? Can you be
more precise.

>Perhaps this should be part of the URL
> scheme as well.

If it is a metascheme, then it is a new URI scheme. It doesn't
have to be discussed either in URL nor in URN syntax. It would
go into a separate draft. It has to make sure, on its own,
that it is compatible with the URL/URN syntax.

Perhaps the URL syntax draft, where it speaks about URIs,
could be generalized in the direction of metaschemes.